Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Janet's Shrimp Pasta

Yeah, that's right. This recipe is all mine. Made it up myself. No surfing, no foodnetwork.com, no Epicurious.com. All mine. I had shrimp I just bought and needed to cook it tonight. I have some newly planted rosemary and basil plants, and I needed to pinch off the new growth. I didn't want to throw the clippings away (heaven forbid), so I thought, "What could I make with shrimp, rosemary, basil, half a lemon and half a red pepper?" Oh, did I mention tonight was clean-out-the-fridge night? I also had a box of these scrumptious grape tomatoes. They must be in season, because they were the sweetest batch I ever had. Brett kept eating them like candy. I took all these fresh ingredients and came up with a delishus pasta dish that was ready in 20 minutes. I hope you enjoy my creation!

1 lb large shrimp, shells removed

Put shrimp in bowl with some olive oil (about 1/4 cup), 3 cloves garlic, minced in the garlic press, 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, juice of 1/2 a lemon plus the zest, 1/4 tsp (or more) crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Let marinate while preparing veggies.

Cut up 1 red pepper into strips
Slice 1/2 sweet onion ( I happened to have leeks, so I used what was left of them)
Wash 1/2 container of grape tomatoes

Fill large pot with water, and heat to boiling. Add salt.
Don't add pasta yet.

Heat large saute pan with 1/4 cup olive oil.
Add onion (or leeks), and saute until soft.
Add red pepper strips and saute for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
Add the grape tomatoes and the marinated shrimp to the saute pan.
At the same time, add about 3/4 box of penne to the boiling water.
Cook shrimp about 3 minutes per side, until pink.
Cook pasta until al dente.

After you've cooked both sides of the shrimp and they are pink, add 1/2 cup white wine, and about 1/4 cup low salt chicken broth. Bring to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, until shrimp are cooked through.

By this time, the penne should be ready. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put them into the saute pan with the sauce. Mix everything together and cook for about 5 minutes, until all flavors combine. Add chopped basil and Italian parsley, more olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes if you want more heat, and grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment