Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pasta Puttanesca - Healthy Version

I know you must be wondering where I've been. Well, since my last post (almost a year ago), I've been enjoying my new life. I was still cooking and eating, but I was just too busy to write any posts. I could not be happier cooking for my 3 boys.  I'm still just as busy and just as happy enjoying life, but now, I have a message I need to share. I've discovered a new way of cooking and eating that's been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I've lost 15 lbs, and I've never felt better. Jamie bought 3 books, and I've read them all. They are Food for Life, The Engine 2 Diet, and Forks Over Knives. Before reading these books, I thought I was eating healthy. But I had plenty of room for improvement! I've gone down 2 pant sizes and I'm wearing clothes that haven't fit me in 3 years. I've decided to update my blog by posting old favorite recipes but making them more healthy. My first one is an inspiration from my Aunt Michele. She was visiting Uncle Joe, Chris and me when she made this delicious pasta recipe she learned from my cousin Rebecca. I really liked it, but decided to make it healthier. The original had bacon, so I removed that and replaced it with basil, olives, and spinach. It's just as tasty and delicious, but it has less fat and more good stuff. Enjoy the new me!
1 package whole wheat penne
1/2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 large can chopped tomatoes, undrained
12 pitted Kalamata olives, sliced in half
2 TBSP capers, rinsed and drained
1 tsp anchovy paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 bag prewashed baby spinach

Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium heat, heat oil, then add onion. Saute until soft, then add garlic, saute 1 minute more; do not burn. Add tomatoes with juice, olives, capers, basil, oregano, red pepper and S&P to taste. Heat to boiling, then reduce and simmer uncovered while pasta cooks, about 10 minutes, stirring.
Toss al dente penne into sauce and add pasta water if needed. Add bag of spinach, more fresh basil, and parmesan cheese if desired. Serve after spinach is just wilted, about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment