Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baked Swordfish with Lemon, Capers, and Fennel

I must like swordfish, because this is the second recipe I've posted with it. This version is Sicilian style; it has lemon, capers, tomatoes and fennel. I must say, it's quite tasty. I'm now going for my second helping. Originally, I was looking for a recipe for grilled swordfish, but I just could not pass this one up.  I began with a recipe from Emeril Legasse as my inspiration, but added the tomatoes, shallots and white wine. I just can't seem to follow a recipe from start to finish. I always like to add my own spin to it. Good thing I don't like to bake!  What's nice about this dish is I was able to use my mandoline. No, I was not cooking with a musical instrument. That would be a mandolin. A mandoline is a very useful slicer for fruits and vegetables. It's perfect for slicing the fennel and the lemon. You can slice as thin as you dare. So far, I have not sliced my finger, which is a good thing. I served this dish with Kendall-Jackson Summation 2008 white table wine. It is a blend of white grape varietals grown in California but originating from the Loire and Rhone regions of France. It pairs well with the fish, especially since I also used it to make the sauce.

1 lb swordfish steaks
olive oil
1 fennel bulb, sliced very thin
1 lemon, sliced very thin
1 shallot, sliced very thin
1 clove garlic, sliced very thin
salt and pepper
fresh rosemary, about 1 1/2 Tbsps, chopped
fresh mint, about 1 Tbsp, chopped (if you don't like mint, substitute 1 Tbsp fresh basil)
dried oregano, about 2 tsps
2 small Roma tomatoes, chopped with juice
1 Tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup dry white wine

Preheat oven to 350.
In an oven safe skillet (such as a cast iron skillet), add olive oil. Heat to medium. Add shaved fennel, shallots, salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add sliced garlic clove and cook until soft and fennel begins to brown. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on fish steaks and season with salt and pepper. Move fennel to one side and add fish. Brown each side for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add herbs, capers, lemon slices, and chopped tomatoes. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Add wine, cook for 5 minutes more.

Serve with small pasta like orzo, spooning sauce over entire dish.

1 comment:

  1. I think I am going to make it this weekend. I have a grill pan that I bought. Do you think it will work well in that pan? It has the ridges, hence it is a grill pan. :)

    ReplyDelete